What’s the difference between a Custome Home and a Semi-Custom Home?
If you’re looking to build your own home, you’ll quickly realize there are different options out there. If you want a home you can put your stamp on, your two best options are custom and semi-custom homes. But what exactly is the difference between the two? Our custom home experts break it down for you.
When we say custom homes, we really do mean custom. You’ll be deciding everything in the home building process. A custom home project is when you work directly with a home builder and architect to design, plan, and select every single detail about the home’s construction, layout, and finishes.
A custom home allows you to build your dream home that works for your family exactly how you need it to. They can be more expensive and time-consuming, but the goal is that you’ll never need another house again since this one will fit all your needs.
If you decide to build a custom home, you’ll get to decide:
- The lot and location
- The home floor plan, both exterior and interior
- Construction and exterior materials
- Interior materials like flooring, doors, and windows
- Interior finishes such as countertops, paint colors, electrical & more
A semi-custom home is a good compromise between a fully custom home and a spec-home, which is pre-designed. With a semi-custom home, you work with a home builder and select from pre-existing designs to find one that suits you best, then you can make interior changes and select finishes to your liking.
A semi-custom home is great for those that have a clear vision for what they want their home to look like but aren’t interested in spending the time and money to select every single detail. You won’t have as much control or choices, but you’ll still be able to personalize the home design.
If you decide to build a semi-custom home, you’ll get to decide:
- Minor interior layout changes (remove walls, add extra rooms if space provide)
- Some exterior materials (usually between pre-selected options)
- Interior materials like flooring (however, there may be reduced options)
- Interior finishes like countertops, paint colors, etc.
At Sina Architectural Design, we specialize in building beautiful custom homes, however, we can accommodate semi-custom designs as well. If you’re interested in building your dream home, contact us today! Our team of home-building experts can make your dream house a reality.